Here is another computer tutorial, this time on how to setup Remote access on Windows 7. I’m using a D-Link DIR-655 router, but other routers should be a fairly similar setup.
Looking for a new Router? The D-Link DIR-655 in this video is available HERE.
This router has some great features, especially given the price. It features a 4 port gigabit switch, N wireless with great range, a USB port for EASY file or printer sharing, and more.
Instructions (Completely covered in above how to video)
1. Click on the start button, right click my computer, select properties
2. On the left, click on remote settings
3. Make sure “allow remote connections to this computer” box is checked
4. Select the middle radio button for security
5. Close all open dialog boxes
6. Find IP addresses needed for setup
a. Click start, in the search bar type “CMD” hit enter key
b. Type IPCONFIG in the black box, hit enter
c. Make note of IPV4 address (Computer IP)
d. Make ntoe of Default Gateway address (Router IP)
7. Open internet explorer or other internet browser
8. Type IP address for the router (Default Gateway IP)
9. Login to router
10. Find “Port Forwarding” area within the router
11. Forward port 3389 to the computer IP
12. To remote to computer, use WhatIsMyIPAddess.com to obtain your external IP address
13. From the computer you wish to remote FROM, open the remote connection program. Found in start, all programs, accessories, and finally “Remote Desktop Connection”
14. Type in the external IP address from what is my IP address website.
15. You should be prompted with ID and password login box. Login as you would as if you were sitting in front of PC
17. If you have any questions, feel free to email “Admin (at) AllThingsNerd.com